Monday, August 16, 2021

Playing Defender in Bandcamp -- #Blaugust2021 Day 16

I casually dropped by my Bandcamp page to see how the stats were doing, and as I expected, they were pretty abysmal. hehe. I never expected there to be a stellar play count AT ALL. I just really wanted to make my music available to those that might be interested and especially old acquaintances of the past.

3 complete plays! (Pretty sure they were all me)

By selecting the tabs underneath "Plays" you can get specific details about specific time periods. I'm sure for popular bands, that's kind of a cool thing, but for me, the coolest feature of this chart is the "defender" mode. When you click this button, it literally turns your stats into an old school game of defender.

Destroy the aliens! Play my music!

This is actually playable and gives you 3 lives to mess around with. You don't actually wreck into the collision of the bars, and once your humans are all gone, the aliens go into hyper mode and eventually swarm and destroy you. Your "plays" becomes your score, and honestly 3,300 plays of my music would be amazing, but for a Defender score, that's not that great. 

It's that cute gamification touch that I love to see from websites. From Google, it's expected now that you'll see an amazing game from them every year or two (just like they did for Pac-man 30th anniversary or the 2021 Olympics). From other companies, it's nice to see when it happens.

If Bandcamp was really savvy, they'd find a way to automatically make a rhythm game out of your uploaded music. Now THAT, I'd like to invite people to come play. :) 

~~ ADDENDUM!

Tipa from Chasing Dings made my dreams come true and played my song "A Family" from Freeze on AudioSurf. Amazing! Check it out: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1120212927?t=00h01m03s

Happy Dueling!

4 comments:

Tipa said...

There are rhythm games that can use your own tracks. I think AudioSurf was one?

Stingite said...

@Tipa -- Nice! I'll have to check that out. As long as I don't have to manually plunk down where to put the up, down, left, right . . . I'm in!

Tipa said...

Just gonna leave this here. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1120212927

Stingite said...

Love it! Added to the blogpost