Monday, June 26, 2023

Level 71 -- Diablo with a side of DDOS

When I worked at KingsIsle, it always sucked when Wizard101 would get DDOS'd. Most attacks were so easily dealt with that no one even noticed, but a couple of times it was so terrifying that it brought the game to a screeching halt. People assumed "weak security" was the reason we couldn't deal with the crushing spam, but they'd be wrong. No, the ones that hit hard were always pretty sophisticated attacks, but, eventually, with some ingenuity on our side it always got dealt with, and then as a company we always made things right with our customers. And so it goes . . . 

Circle round to yesterday when Blizzard was being DDOS'd, my heart went out to them. Dude, a Sunday morning DDOS attack is such a jerk move. Awful. Thanks for ruining the weekend of some hardworking devs. 

Anyway, the downtime was actually pretty minimal in the long run, but the term "DDOS" actually started to trend on Twitter yesterday morning because it was riling up so many people. Blizzard managed to stem the tide of whatever digital mess was headed their way, but it certainly must have been a band-aid. There's live maintenance going on today and tomorrow, and my theory is that whatever is happening today is their implementation of a more permanent fix. 

Hopefully that interruption during gameplay is minimal!

As for a reason why the attacks happened, your guess is as good as Cyber Security Hub's guess.  It was probably just Blizzard hate in general.

DDOS or not, I was still able to log on and play a lot since my last posting when I was level 65. I'm now on to level 71 and have been doing a lot of open world play in Torment difficulty!

Mainly my play has been centered around Helltides, World Bosses, World Events, finishing up two more of the five regions. Those World Events are pretty great for XP gain btw. It was typically a fourth of a level for one quick five minute event.  Totally worth it and the gear drops were always really nice to have as a reward.

So satisfying when all that loot drops

Those Helltides feel absolutely needed for changing up your gear stats btw.  Every piece of gear I've gotten has been "almost" perfect and to change those up, you typically need fiend roses, which you'll have a higher chance of finding in Helltides.

I'm still using my Landslide Druid / Companion skills to great effect. It's been fun to play and I have a lot of motivation going to make this build something special. I still don't feel like I've perfected it yet.  Maybe by the time I'm level 100 I'll have it all figured out. hehe.

BTW, my stable is full of horses now because of all these bosses and events. I'll probably just stick with my "burn-victim" horse skin because it's the rarest of the bunch, but pretty neat to have all these skins available to me.

Six skins, but I'll stick with ol' trusty burn-victim horse.

Happy Dueling! 

No comments: