Tuesday, October 24, 2023

No More Rainbows: Ice is Nice!

 I've now played all four worlds in No More Rainbows, and I have to say that World 3 is by far my favorite of them all . . . um . . . for the most part. The Boss level can take a flying leap -- literally it's all flying leaps, and I've died so many times and worn myself out to the point of exhaustion. Outside of that though? This place is a VR platforming paradise.

At the icy summit of a candy covered world

It's a candy world that came straight out of grandma's freezer and into your VR headset. It's ice cream cones, chocolate waterfalls, licorice logs, and gummy bear candies, but at the same time it's also giant skeletons, monster rage, and giant popcorn kernel explosions. 

Best of all, this is the world that you can find the classic downhill ice sliding levels where you can dig your claws in to slow you down or leap on the ice to propel you to new heights and speed. 

This isn't flying, it's falling with style!

Remember the joy you had way back when playing the ice slide world in Super Mario 64? This takes you back and gives you a whole new sense of immersion. It's unbelievably fun.

Right now my biggest struggle with the world is trying to find the hidden 120th eggy guy so I can unlock the secret level and play it to earn those sweet sweet unicorns. I feel like I've looked everywhere. UGH! where is this hidden egg?! Don't make me search it on Google!

Now that all the fun of world 3 is out of the way, can we take a moment to talk about this boss level? I have so much hate for it. I don't know if I'll ever find a way to 3 star this thing. You have to have the reflexes of a golden lion to win this thing.

One new Golden Lion skin, check.
 
Perhaps someday my friends. For now, I'm on to World 4, the final world of the campaign and it's all about balancing on pipes, leaping off conveyor belts, and avoiding a rising tide of rainbow goop that will certainly kill any beast. Given the horror of the boss level on World 3, I'm actually terrified to see what the boss level is like in World 4.

Win or lose, I'll be sure to talk about it here. No more rainbows is not only my new favorite platformer, but also one heck of an arm workout.

Happy Dueling!

2 comments:

Tipa said...

I look at this and wonder just how nauseous this would make me :-(

Stingite said...

hehe. Even I slightly lose my balance in this game from time to time, but they do a few tricks like heavy vignettes around the edges of the screen to help the sickness.

I laugh just imagining Calrain trying to play this game. haha.