Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Caving in to the New World

So it went down a bit like this . . . New World launched around 6 months ago and it was HOT. Everybody was talking about New World. New World this, New World that. It's kind of like how it is now with Lost Ark. 

As for me, being how I am, I took a solid pass to New World because why would I ever play the hot, new game of the moment? Me?  Play the latest and greatest game and write about it on my blog?  NEVER!  If you're over here at The Friendly Necromancer looking for a play-by-play of Elden Ring, you've come to the wrong spot.

Side note, wouldn't it be amazing if I did a play-by-play of Elden Ring and posted about it on my blog?! 

Anyway, the buzz has died down and most of the heavy surge of players who were there at launch have left, so I figure New World is fair game for The Friendly Necromancer to write about.

The whole reason I bought this game is my friend from Runes of Magic, one Tessanna . . . or (since that name was taken in New World) "Tereayna." Tereayna bought New World back when it was all the hotness and just never played the game. Now was the time she chose to try it, and because of that, $40 later I was in! LET'S DO THIS!

Tereayna was adorable, y'all.  For the first couple hours of the game she ran around without a mouse using the mousepad to play. At one time she was training like 7 mobs behind her, and I was like . . . OK HERE WE GO! 

Run Tereayna, Run!

As for me, Stingite is sporting his classic mohawk in New World and after finding a Fire Staff, I was kind of in my element. Not gonna lie, the game so far has been just as fun as everyone said it would be. It just feels new and good, and the graphics are fantastic. I love how I have to aim my shots to hit, and I also love that the game is somewhat forgiving when I just barely miss.  I guess I'm just used to competitive shooters. 

I guess I answer to Gilander Dempsterfire? COVENANT FOR LIFE!

Can I just say how cool fishing is in this game?  The mini-game is really really good and captures a lot of the tension from trying to wear down a fish's strength while simultaneously trying to not snap your fishing line. It's one of the best fishing systems I've messed with to date.

Reeling in the big one!

Also, it might be the heavy use of violin and adventurous sounding music, but New World's music is giving me serious Valheim vibes. (Side note, I should try playing Valheim on my new computer here -- I bet it's a better experience for me.) 

So there you have it. I'll be logging in to new World with my buddy Tereayna and playing from time to time. So far I'm having fun with the game.

Daddy needs a new pair of boots

Happy Dueling!

5 comments:

Bhagpuss said...

My experience with New World is that it's a great game if you remember it started as a sandbox and only became a PvE theme park much later. All the real problems seem to come in the endgame, something I'm not even sure New World has in any meaningful sense. So long as you're just running around, exploring, working on your skills and your standing nd your crafting it's a god time. I got well over a couple of hundred hours out of it before I drifted away. If that was a single-player title I think we'd all agree it was value for money. Why mmorpgs are supposed to provide endless entertainment for the same box price is unclear.

stingite said...

@Bhagpuss -- Great points as always!

Everwake said...

I think it's very on-brand for a Friendly Necromancer to only play "dead" games!

Stingite said...

@Everwake -- LOL! Its zombie-like corpse shall do my bidding!

Tipa said...

Yes, you should try Valheim again :-)