Sunday, May 23, 2021

Experiencing Exile's Reach--Attack of the Ogre Necromancer

 I didn't even know that a new tutorial experience was included with the latest Shadowlands Update to World of Warcraft.  (It's not too surprising since I like never play WoW.)  I was doing a bit of whining on Twitter last night about how WoW felt like abandonment every time I logged on because my friend who got me into the game sold his account. (This isn't the first time I've whined about it.)

Because of that I started thinking about my whole WoW experience and the things I liked or didn't like about it. I also had chosen to play a Paladin because my friend recommended it, and while I enjoyed it, I also hated it. I hated my role in raids mostly.

So last night I started thinking about how the class I personally would have chosen would have probably been a hunter or a warlock. I've already played a hunter several times, but never a warlock. Because of that, I logged on and made a new character called "Thefn" short for The Friendly Necromancer.

I'm loving the 100% Right Slider look

When I saw the new tutorial experience as an option, I was pleasantly surprised. Even better was how fast those 10 levels soared by and how good the game still feels when you play it.

It did expose the class and race I'd like to play most, however.  An Ogre necromancer sounds perfect, thanks.

Yes, please

Just imagine you're dragging around a bunch of skeletons and zombies on those chains and throwing them into combat. I'd play that class in a heartbeat.

I actually kind of groaned a bit when the tutorial's ultimate battle was with a dragon at the top of a climb. It felt very cliché to be honest. Didn't we do this exact same thing in Rift's tutorial?

Thanks for explaining why I'm able to take this thing down as a level 10 warlock

I guess I shouldn't complain . . . it did feel pretty epic. In fact, everything leading up to that point felt pretty great too. The spider cave adventure was great. The Harpy hunting was exactly the type of quest you'd find throughout the world. The giant bear boss fight felt dangerous and profitable. Creating a giant boar to trample a hoard of troops felt great. 

Hanging by a rope over a giant crowd of nope

Overall it was exactly what I'd want to experience in an hour or so of World of Warcraft. As tempted as I am to subscribe after that great experience. I'm afraid the follow on experience probably won't be as much fun. Plus I've just got so many other games to play. Hmmm.

Happy Dueling!

1 comment:

Alli said...

An ogre necromancer would definitely be an interesting class!