Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Thank You, Readers!

I just wanted you all to know that I've had a few really amazing e-mails and DMs lately that have been really heartwarming to read. I've been running the Friendly Necromancer blog here for 15 years now, and a lot has changed over that time! What remains true is that you never know who's been reading and what they've been feeling.

For the most part I've tried to be a positive force for not often heard voices, and while times have changed and "The Blog" may not be the richest and most powerful medium out there these days, I can't deny that people still visit and read blogs! Things that we write and say, matter.

I will say that, look, I've thought about closing down this blog twice yearly . . . at least! Times have changed, posts are old, and sometimes I feel like I could do better focusing my efforts somewhere else. So, believe me when I say these thank you notes I've recently received made me happy I've kept things going around here.

The first note came from an old reader who used to call himself Talon Nightshade. Talon himself, although pretty young at the time, ran a blog called "A Pyromancer's Say" and used to comment here all the time with the catch phrase "THE FRIENDLY NECROMANCER ROCKS". 


Talon is all grown up now! I think he might be the only person that ever read my Wizard101 fan fiction. We did good, Team 2009! We did good.

The second note came from another old reader who went by Mike. Mike also was pretty young at the time and ran a blog called "Necromancer101".

"Hi! I know you don't remember me, but I remember you.

When I was 11 years old, I signed up for the Wizard101 beta through a TV commercial.

Through my childhood, and most of my teenage years, Wizard101 was MY LIFE. I made friends, I made memories, and it is the quintessential piece of nostalgic media I have. I spent months worth of hours playing that game.

I recently logged on for the first time in probably half a decade, and It brought back so many happy memories, I was crying by the end of my reunion tour. I'm going to start a new wizard and do it all over again because of it.

I am a 26 year old adult now. I work full time in EMS, I have a long term partner, and Wizard101 hadn't really crossed my mind in a while, until today.

I am writing to let you know how big of an influence you had on my life as a kid. And hopefully bring you a smile.

I remember rushing home after school or church, and checking your blog to see if you replied to my question (on more than one occasion). I was a kid, and asked some pretty dumb questions haha. I remember once asking "why can't we fly up?" Like I saw you could do in WoW. Given the limitations of the engine, its a pretty easy answer. It could have easily been ignored. But reading your reply made my heart race and my world light up. Those memories were so happy, and so strong, it still makes me smile today.

You were like a celebrity to my little brain. A role model, and an idol. I wanted to be like you so bad, I made my own wizard101 blogspot (Necromancer 101, hosted by my in game name "Mike'). I took hundreds of screenshots and spent countless hours on this blog, with the hope of getting into your side bar of highlighted blogs. And again, I was literally jumping with joy and pride when you added it.

The blog was pretty horrible in comparison to other gaming blogs, and you probably knew that. But you included me anyway. These are incredible, core memories I have. You have touched my life in some deep, wholesome ways, and I just thought you should know.
I couldn't have been the only kid/teen you inspired like that, so I hope you know you've made the world a better place with your blog.

It's awesome to see it's still up, and I hope you're doing well. KI should hire you (if they haven't already!)

Feel free to pass this on to anyone you like, if you want to.

So I'm extending a deep, heartfelt thank you. To you personally. My life and childhood was made better because of your work. Keep on making kids smile, you're doing an awesome job."

I mean . . . is that the sweetest thing you've ever read? It is to me. 

The third note came from a three-person developer team named Starstruck Games. They're making a match 3 roguelike game. 

This team read on my blog several years ago when I was searching for a good dungeon-based match 3 game and had a hard time finding one I liked. This developer felt the same way, and after all these years they've made a game that does a pretty good job of marrying Roguelike and Match 3. (I've played the demo, it's quite good!)

They're even going to give me a free copy of the game when it releases . . . not because of marketing, but because there was some comradery there. While I won't share the majority of the message with you, I do want to call out one particular quote that warmed my heart.


Absolutely I'm cheering you on! GO STARSTRUCK!

So, I hope this post doesn't sound like I'm patting myself on the back, but rather more that it feels good. You can put a lot of energy and kindness out into the world and it rarely comes back to you. And that's fine, but when it does, it makes it all worth it.

I'm happy I was able to inspire a few people and thankful that I was ever able to help anyone in a small way. Thanks for your time and for letting me be a part of your lives in one way or another.

Happy Dueling!

2 comments:

Nimgimli said...

The post definitely does NOT sound like you are patting yourself on the back. If anything, you're just celebrating what awesome readers you've had over the years. Folks were inspired to go out and start their own blogs or make a game? That's amazing.

Thanks for the feel-good vibes. Just what I needed to read today!!

Stingite said...

@Nimgimli -- Thanks, Nim! I appreciate your reassurance hehe. Glad I could share those vibes with you. :)