Monday, February 7, 2022

A quick plug for Inscryption!

My oldest child bought me Inscryption for Christmas, and I've been meaning to drop some thoughts here about this fantastic deck builder / puzzler indie game, but first let me allow you to be creeped out by this aesthetic . . .

He just wants to hug me . . . right?!

Just to put it out there right up front, it's really good. point blank. All of my kids have played it, and have done their best to keep me spoiler free. Half the fun is hearing them whisper around me to keep stuff a secret.

Anyway, Inscryption is a 4-lane card battler with a ton of conditions, randomness, and boss play to make it well worth your time and money. Originally released in October 2021, I'm late to the Halloween party, but I'm glad I've now had a chance to experience its unsettling kind of fun.

The developer behind Inscryption is the same Daniel Mullins Studios that brought us The Hex and Pony Island. The Publisher is Devolver, the same group behind great games like Loop Hero and Exit the Gungeon, among a plethora of other great Steam games.

Now that that's all said . . . If you don't want any spoilers . . . stop reading . . . just go get the game and be happy with your purchase. For the rest of you . . . whooo boy.

I struggled on the first act of this game for a long time until I got an undying squirrel totem from the woodcarver, and it was just too much power. It carried me right through that final boss with no issues at all.  I don't know if I could have done it without that totem to be honest. I've got so many "stingite" death cards that it was humbling seeing them all attacking me on that final fight.

So many squirrel cards . . .

After the first act, you're treated to a series of YouTube-like videos from a content creator who ends up finding an old floppy disk from the 90's buried in the forest with the Inscryption game on it (playing into the 16-bit aesthetic as well).  It definitely has the whole Blair Witch Project vibe going for it, but not without making fun of itself in the process.

Green screen and all!

The other interesting portion of the game comes from when you press the back button enough times that you stand up away from the game table and look around your capture's cabin.  Herein are several small minigame puzzles that will give you advantages in the actual game.

All the things the arcane eye sees!

Apparently there are three acts total to this game, and I've only managed to get half way through the second act, so . . . I still have a lot to explore here.

Anyway . . . just had to plug this card game in case some of my readers hadn't played it yet. Good times and highly recommended.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: