Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Still Digging that Project Gorgon Life

I had a really cool surprise yesterday when I opened up Twitter and clicked on a Tweet from Massively OP that gave me a shout out in an article featuring my last post on Project Gorgon. Totally unexpected and really cool. Massively is simply amazing.

In the comments to that article, I saw just a little grumbling about that entry fee of $40 bucks. I just have to say that I'm personally getting a ton more value as the hours roll by.  I've "only" invested 80 hours (probably more like 100 if you count the time spent in the demo) in the game to date whereas my guild leader is pushing 3,000 hours. Think about that. For me, it's at the 50 cents an hour range. For him it's pennies per hour that he's paid for all that playtime.

I honestly don't know how this miniscule development team pulls it off and pays the bills.

But I get it, there are a lot of game options out there these days and why invest in a game like Project Gorgon when you could drop the same amount of money and play vanilla Guild Wars 2 or rent 30-40 Redbox films? The answer is that Project Gorgon is a quirky hot mess of a nostalgia trip that's just fun to play. It may not be your bag. That's cool. Try the Demo first.

Some people get grumpy when they run into bugs and non-intuitive features, but honestly, as long as you're having fun at the end of the day, your attitude towards it will decide whether you like this game or not.


What's that? Yes, I'm swimming in mid-air! I found a hilarious bug in Sun Vale the other day when I dipped into a river and then tried to jump out of the river only to find I was stuck swimming as the world appeared to suddenly be underwater. So I swam like a bird high up on the Z-axis and got a great view of the blurry world below and died on perfectly dry land. Yeah it was wasted time, but are you gonna find this kind of stupid bug in WoW?! I THINK NOT! IT WAS AWESOME!


And what's that? Yes, I look like a luchador wearing a green dress playing the lute. And I'm waiting an ungoldly five minutes for a box of arrows to "dry in the sun" during the middle of the night . . . but I'm joined by my pet "fire rat" named Bernie as we serenade the night away. The quirk is strong with this one.

Speaking of quirk. I loved stumbling into this party in the middle of Serbule one night. Jackencola, one of the more verbal devs, was dropping a color light show dance party extravaganza. The game would encourage us all to do the same numbered dance move and synchronize together. People were playing tubas, wolves were howling, and the area was full of strange dancing.


All the while, this ugly game truly has some beautifully serene moments. It's visually at its best when the sun rises across the virtual landscape and a misty morning rolls out in front of you. The Project Gorgon landscape is always more screenshot worthy in this type of light.


Wait, I have a better screenshot than that . . . it's right before this moment when my rat got in front of the camera and looked like he's a giant putting his paws on my shoulders.


Thanks for the backrub, Bernie!

Anyway, I hope to have more posts about Project Gorgon on random things like how I learned how to read Goblin from reading their business cards, how I finally sped up my run speed, how I figured out how Surveying works, and more of the juicy lore gossip on why there's a big head and two hands poking out of the ground in Serbule. It's all good stuff to me.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: