Monday, August 10, 2015

#Blaugust Day 10 -- Of Flappy Bert and Badland (Mobile Monday?)

I spent a good portion of yesterday being dragged around shopping by my wife and father-in-law, and when that happens, at some point I'm either going to end up chatting on Twitter or playing a game. Yesterday, the games won, and I rediscovered a fun game buried on my phone that I paid honest to goodness money for. Crazy, right? You know it is! Paid apps only make up a third of the app store and with so much "free" around, paid apps better be a gem.

Remember the Flappy Bird craze? Of course you do. It was confounding and inspired the even greater game of Flappy Bert. When Seasame Street joins the fray, you're solidly cemented in pop culture forever. (My high score is 35 on Flappy Bert btw . . . THAT LAUGH)

But before Flappy Bert hit the world, I had downloaded Badland, which is a much cooler and more stylized game to the Nth degree.


If you haven't heard of it, then you probably weren't paying attention back in 2013 when it was announced as the iPad game of the year . . . and probably overshadowed by its co-winner, Ridiculous Fishing.  That's alright, I forgive you.

Check it out:


This game is such a fun side-scrolling puzzler, and even comes with a multiplayer mode where you and up to 3 others can each take a corner of the device and flap flap flap your way to the goal line where one of you will be announced the winner.

The hardest thing though is trying to play Badland and take a screenshot on your iPhone at the same time. This one didn't turn out too bad though!


Just look at that little fat bat flapping around! So awesome.

This was a particularly hilarious level where I ended up controlling a sea of overweight bats trying to clunk their way though a collapsing metal pathway. FLOP *clunk* FLOP *clunk* FLOP.


And that's what makes this game great. It takes that constantly falling and flappy mechanic and adds a lot of depth to it. You'll grab power ups that give you top spin, shrink you, grow you, split you into a million little bats . . . Flappy Bert can't even come close to this. Meanwhile you're doing all this flapping to a great soundtrack in a world that just . . . looks . . . cool.

Apparently there's a PC version now that's available for $10 on Steam. I may just have to pick that one up. I wonder how it plays on the PC? hmm.

Anyway, this one is on Friendly's phone and was super fun last night as I was pulled around from store to store. Glad I could show it off to you! If you like hearing about Mobile games and particularly which ones are on my phone, gimme a shout in the comments. (Plus leave me your Flappy Bert high score while you're at it.)

Happy Dueling!

~~

This post is part of the Blaughust challenge -- Thanks to Belghast from Tales of the Aggronaut for hosting. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks so intense. Looks like a great way to practice getting killed lol. That sure sounds amazing too in the soundtrack. I am glad you told us they were bats, I sure couldn't tell lol. They DO look adorable though :D.

Stingite said...

Chrissy . . . where is your Flappy Bert score? Unacceptable. ;)