Saturday, August 10, 2024

Thoughts on Roblox and Music Rights

I'm finding myself the past couple of days thinking, "Hmmm . . . what if I just gave the rights to my music to Roblox?" 

First off, since currently a lot of people are reading my posts for the first time thanks to Blaugust, Hi, I like to write music as well as play video games and write about them. I wrote a whole series of musical posts back in the day for Blaugust that really go into this in detail if you're super curious

Since then I've released two albums through a distribution service known as DistroKid.

And another album of old music through a local distributor named FountainAVM.

Ok, now that we're all caught up on that business. I had an email come through the other day from Distrokid that had an interesting proposition for me.

Deliver my music to Roblox?

Basically what that means is if you want to give rights to your music to Roblox, then kids (and most likely adults) around the world could use your music in their games Royalty free. It's not guaranteed that anyone will ever actually use your music, but it will be available if you check the boxes and grant permission.

I did some minor googling and found a Reddit thread where others were talking about this offer. The responses, while few, run the gambit of my thoughts and various points in my life. Here's a hot take:


Haha! I've felt like this before . . . maybe someday someone will discover my nine 90-minute tapes from my youth and I will have my validation! Until then, NO MUSIC FOR YOU! 

Here's another take:


Oo! Now there's the kicker. I actually do belong to ASCAP. That said, I've never uploaded my music to ASCAP, just the fact that I'm a songwriter. I don't think it'd be discoverable even if I checked the box.

And finally, we come to this gem:


Yup, and that's where I sit . . . pretty cool if you ask me.  I'd love to offer a couple albums of music to Roblox for developer use!

Either way, it's been an interesting thought.  If I were to do it, I'd probably make a second DistroKid account and put all my musical meme music on it without any kind of ASCAP tie-back.

Yeah, it's probably not worth the 20-40 bucks a year to even think about it. I don't know, what do you all think? 

Personally, I'd love to see more of my songs being made into rhythm game music! One of my favorite people in the world, Tipa from Chasing Dings, once bought a song of mine off Bandcamp and made a level in Audiosurf. I've also sequenced a song of mine and put it to a level in Synth Riders. Just imagine what those crazy kids in Roblox could do!

Happy Dueling!

No comments: