Sunday, August 11, 2024

Building a Beastlord in BG3?

 A couple days ago I got the weird pull to start a new character in Baulder's Gate 3. Dylan and I have been distracted from playing BG3 (mostly because of 7 Days to Die) and I've been missing it a bit.

I really want to multiclass a Ranger and a Monk to kind of recreate my Beastlord in Everquest. Unfortunately you can't play a Lizardfolk in BG3, but you can play a Dragonborn, and so a Dragonborn I shall play!

Let's turn that frown upside down!

This is Volt, the blue dragonborn. Yeah, the name is kind of dumb, but I've never been one to come up with fantastic names anyway. 

I love the blue and pink coloration on him!

To recreate my iksar beastlord, my plan is to equally multiclass him as a monk and a ranger with a Beastmaster focus. Back in the day when I worked at KingsIsle, at one time we were playing a D&D campaign over lunch. I believe it was the Storm King's Thunder campaign. In that campaign, I was playing a lizardfolk, pure ranger beastmaster build, and I found it a bit lacking. I'm hoping that by splashing some Monk in the mix, it'll be a bit more fun and survivable.

Since Volt is only level 3 right now (2 monk/1 ranger), he can't really summon any creatures except for a little 2 hitpoint crab familiar. It's pretty silly. If it was a little 2 hitpoint lizard, I'd be in heaven.  Crab will do for now.

Volt and Mr. Crabs

Now that I think more on it, I guess to really build a Beastlord from EQ, I'd need to make sure I get some kind of slow spell, which probably would mean going Cleric to level 5 with a Knowledge Domain, Ranger to level 5 with a Beastmaster Subclass, and I guess Monk to level 2?

Anyway, I'm kind of excited to see how he ends up playing. Ultimately I'll be stopping my progression when I reach that part of Act 2 where Dylan and I are playing because I want that to still be our main game and not spoil anything.

Karlach is so hot . . . literally

I've really loved how different the game is playing now that I'm controlling 3 other characters and am getting to know these new personalities a bit better.  The Gith is staying back at camp this time.  

Happy Dueling!

No comments: