Monday, August 19, 2024

Grymforged Beastlord

I had entirely too much fun yesterday playing Baulder's Gate 3. My Level 2 Monk/Level 2 Ranger (aka the Everquest Beastlord project) finally dinged Level 2 Monk / Level 3 Ranger and now I can summon a beast to actually be a lord over. Man, I'm so bummed that one of the possible summons isn't a large lizard or a velociraptor. It'd be so much cooler for this character. On the upside, it is kind of neat that you don't have to choose just one summon as your perma-pet and stick with it. If I want, I can summon up a bear, a boar, a wolf, a raven, a frog ... all on a short rest refresh, which gives me a lot more versatility to be honest. 

Anyway, to ding that level, I did a bunch of snooping around in a far corner of Act 1 that I hadn't explored before and that caused me to run into some evil red caps and a terrifying hag!

She's terrifying.

Defeating that hag was pretty fun. Not only was just getting down to her lair an adventure, but the "save the girl" mechanic was pretty great. (side note: I saved the girl . . . let's not talk about me turning her dead husband into a zombie.) After that, I once again descended down to the depths of the Underdark. I had so much fun poking around in the remote corners of the map above ground, that I decided to do the same below ground. That led me to a fun jumping section of the map over by the Grymforge. 

I'm glad there's no jumping athletics check for this.

It was pretty great fighting a group of lava mephits that exploded upon death. I ended up spreading my party out to minimize the splash damage. Unfortunately, I had to redo this fight over a couple of times because I forgot to save twice before wandering into the next fight with the forge guardian.

Yeah, um, I wasn't prepared for a scripted fight when I'm used to just straight-up killing things. An enemy that's resistant to almost all forms of damage? Mmm, no thanks.

Karlach turn the wheel, turn the wheel, Karlach!

Not to worry, I'm saved and just waiting to finish this off. Gimme that adamantine scale mail! 

Happy Dueling!

No comments: