Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Fight You For A Friendship MK 11

About 3 weeks ago I sent a message to my high school buddy. We'll call him by his Internet Handle "Halfbite."

I just sent him that picture...

Now, Halfbite is amazing, first of all. He's one of those people that when you get around him, you are instantly energized, and it's like you're suddenly 17 again. Honestly, Halfbite is one of my most favorite people in the world.

So back in high school we used to play a couple of arcade games, Arknoid and Mortal Kombat.  Both of those games were at a local grocery store and our lunch breaks were spent grabbing something to eat and spending a quarter or two on playing those two games.

Later in our 20's he would come over to my apartment and we'd play a bunch of Mortal Kombat 2 on the Nintendo 64 together. We, of course, did a lot of other fun stuff that deserves a whole blog post of its own . . . probably a whole book to be honest . . . but for the purposes of this blog post, just know that we loved playing Mortal Kombat together. "Fight you for a Friendship" was one of our things we just used to say to each other. (Referring to the Friendship Fatalities in Mortal Kombat II)

I take being ID'd to buy MK11 as a compliment 

Now that I'm back in Utah, it means I can do things like text him and tell him to come over to once again play, you guessed it, Mortal Kombat. In fact, just this Sunday we were reunited in Mortal Kombat.

I didn't want to spend full price to pick up the newest Mortal Kombat, but I definitely sprung for a used copy of MK 11.

It was pretty great. Mind you, we paused and just talked about stuff for about half of the time he was there, but I was super happy just to get 4 or 5 matches in with him. As per normal, we were evenly split in victories over each other. We both were basically just smashing buttons trying to find the special moves, and I don't think either of us ever pulled off a finishing move.

Scorpion vs Subzero, a classic match up 

I couldn't have been happier.

Last night I again put MK11 on the Switch and played a bit just for fun.  My wife and oldest were watching and we ended up going through the fatality tutorials and started rating them to our own personal tier list.  Ridiculously bloody and goofy fatalities are exactly what you expect from Mortal Kombat, and that is exactly what we got.

Raiden about to fry some undead

There were just too many to rank and we gave up halfway through. As I'm typing this, I can't even think of who all we gave an S-tier to, but I remember Sonya and Baraka ranked pretty high.  Sonya's fatality involved kicking and shooting a person up into some helicopter blades and Baraka peeled off a face, sliced open the brain, and then grabbed it like a shishkabob on his claw and snacked on it.  Yeah, that's mortal kombat for you.

Anyway, I don't play many M-rated games, but this is an exception. I hope I get to play more MK11 with Halfbite. It's one of the lost joys from younger years.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: