Monday, August 5, 2024

When Splatoon Meets Brawl Stars

By now you all are probably tired of hearing me talk about Brawl Stars . . . like, we know, we get it, you like this dumb mobile game. MOVE ON, TOM! MOVE ON!

It's a good point you make, imaginary reader who just said that, but they keep doing new things in the game and I really do like to play it, so BACK OFF, IMAGINARY READER! (When I say, imaginary reader, I'm pretty sure that's more reality than fiction according to these Brawl Star post view counts.)

So, ACTUAL READER, I have to say that the Brawl Stars new event is pretty great, mostly because it hails to one of my kids' favorite PvP games called Splatoon. 

This game is so great!

Splatoon is big news around these parts (meaning, my household), and I would be lying if I didn't say I too have taken inspiration from this fantastic game (I may or may not have taken some design queues from the Splatfest event).

In Splatoon, the classic game is a 4 v 4 brawl with awesome painting weapons like a roller brush, Spray guns, Splatterscope, Goo Tubers, paint buckets, umbrellas, paint brushes, and on and on. Once you choose your weapon and queue for a match, you and your team then paint the floor and your opponents with a color. The other team does the same with a different color. At the end of the match, the team that colors the most wins.

Ready to paint the town green!

To go along with it, the characters of Splatoon are pretty much semi-aquatic humanoids, the squid kids if you will, and they're fighting each other for turf in a post-apocalyptic earth. It's great. There's been 3 versions of the game with multiple updates and millions of players. It's well known in the Nintendo-lovers world.

Likewise, The new Brawl Stars season/theme is called Paint Brawl and it comes with a new game mode where you have a 3v3 paint-the-floor match between 2 teams with 2 colors.  Sound familiar? It is slightly different in that you kick around a ball to paint the floor and killing an enemy leaves behind a big splat of paint.

Green destroyed Orange in this match.

Likewise, the new character introduced into the game is Clancy, the damage-dealing crab, which pairs nicely with Hank, the Pufferfish-riding Shrimp. Check out the crazy new video they released to go along with the new season.

People in the video's comments are all claiming it to be a Spongebob collaboration. That very well may be, (side note, Griff would be perfect in a Spongebob Skin) but I'm not sure if it's not just all done out of parody than an actual collaboration. Nickelodeon's famous IP would not come cheap. 

100 percent Spongebob Candidate

I suppose if any game company could pull it off, it'd be Supercell. To me, the whole thing smacks more of Splatoon than SpongeBob.

As for the Brawl season pass, I'm not sure if I'd spring for it just yet.  I've had a hard time justifying it for the past couple season passes. The exclusive skin is for a character I haven't unlocked yet named Sandy, so if it was possible to choose that character as the brawler I unlocked, I'd probably choose him. Meh. If I bought it, it'd be for the gold, let's be honest.

mmm . . . I don't know. I guess it's cool?

So there you go!  It's a new event in Brawl Stars that's uncannily like Splatoon with a possible touch of Spongebob.  What's not to like.

Happy Dueling!

2 comments:

Tipa said...

Actual reader!

Anyway I haven't played any of those games. I got nothing.

Stingite said...

LOL! Thank you, Actual Reader Tipa!