Sunday, August 18, 2024

Saturday Morning Ogden Adventure

It's been a while since I talked about my donut adventures, and I only mentioned it a couple times here on the blog. To sum it up, back when I moved to Texas there were so many donut shops that we dubbed Saturday mornings as the "Saturday Morning Donut Adventure." Every Saturday we'd find a new donut shop and drive there.  This tradition lasted several years -- not every Saturday mind you -- but we hit a good number of donut shops in the Greater Austin area and beyond.

Out for some Saturday Morning fun!

Fast forward to yesterday, I had been given a tip by a coworker that the best donuts in Utah happened to be in a Farmer's Market popup that happens every Saturday on 25th Street in Ogden. Now, I actually have quite the history with 25th Street!  Lemme break it down.

First, 25th Street used to be the third busiest street in the world thanks to a major railway hub there. For many, it was a last stopping point before being shipped off to war and they spent all their money right there on alcohol, women, and gambling. My dad used to actually sell newspapers and work a soda fountain at a pharmacy on 25th Street during this monumental time. He always had a ton of stories to share about it.

Second, I used to live on 25th Street myself in my early 20's, right above the Great Harvest Bakery. It was a pretty memorable time in my life when breakfast used to be going downstairs to get a fresh piece of bread and downing a chocolate milk to go with it.  I was writing music all the time on my synths and penning a lot of stream-of-consciousness poetry.  It was a pretty wild time.

Good old Great Harvest Bakery on 25th Street

I would have loved for a farmer's market to pop up and take over three blocks of 25th Street on Saturdays back in the day!  Now I guess it's just the norm. 

A pretty quirky live band nestled between the buildings

All up and down now on 25th street on Saturdays, you'll find live street bands, clothing shops, baked goods, farm fresh produce, and all manner of knick-knacks.  For us, the draw was first and foremost the donuts. (Although the wife did drop $100+ on clothes there *shudder*) The donuts come from a truck dubbed the Yoder's Family Kitchen and seemed to be run by an industrious Mennonite family.

Yoder's Family Kitchen . . . the food truck

The donuts themselves were warm, fresh sourdough donuts in a large loop that had to be eaten with two hands.  I'd say one Yoder donut was equal to two regular-sized donuts. While donuts are off the menu for me (thanks to developing diabetes a few years ago), the family said they tasted akin to the famous Round Rock donuts we used to love in Texas.

MEGA DONUT BITE!

It's good to know that Saturdays in Ogden are a bit more awesome these days. I'll be back again, but next time for the street tacos.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: