Thursday, August 8, 2024

Just what you wanted, Wallace and Gromit!

I bet there isn't a day that goes by when you wonder to yourself, MAN, when's the next Wallace and Gromit video game going to come out! No? Ok, me neither, but that's ok. The stop motion Claymation hits generated by Aardman are super recognizable with their very distinct style. A better bet would be that you've seen at least one of the movies, shorts, webseries, or some-sort-or-the-other Wallace and Gromit and/or Aardman production, right?

Wallace enjoying a nice "spot of tea" as the Brits might say

For my family, it used to be Chicken Run. We had a DVD (or maybe even it was a VHS) of that movie and watched it on repeat with the kids when they were little.

While thinking over this article, which is actually about a Wallace-and-Gromit-themed course in Walkabout Minigolf, I stopped by the Aardman site to peek through the news section, and wow.  I had no idea there was a Wallace and Gromit AR game for the Quest 3. Nice!

Anyway, have I mentioned how much I love my little Ruff Talk VR group I hang with on Discord? The moment a new Walkabout Minigolf course is available, there's immediately a group of super cool VR enthusiasts (and just generally great people) ready to play through the new course. So when the new Wallace and Gromit course dropped on July 24th, I was ready to go for a great game of golf.

How many people can we pile into the bathroom?!

I came in 2nd place for the group . . . gah, just one stroke!

GG Gwanatu, GG!

The easy version of the course features all the fun gadgets one might find around Gromit's household. From Beds that get you out of bed to guns that shoot jelly onto toast.  One of my favorite gags in the house was the ball washer in the bathroom.

Put into the target and the ballwasher places it on the pillow

Since I shot under par, I was able to unlock the nighttime harder version of the course, which is actually very difficult.  What isn't too difficult, however, is the hunt for golf club clues that are scattered around the course.

Man, those sheep in the hard level really caused some damage around the house!

As per usual with any hard version of a walkabout course, there is an associated pick-up quest within the course. If you find all the clues, you'll get a new themed golf club to play with in the future. The club for the Wallace and Gromit course has all the elegant construction of a retro '60s sci-fi golf club. I like it, daddy-o.

The gadget club -- if it gets me more holes in one, I'll take it!

Overall I really like the courses in the Wallace and Gromit DLC for Walkabout Minigolf! The holes are fun, the hidden balls and the club are not too difficult to find, and the characters are both cute and hilarious. I won't spoil too much here, but make sure you ride the rocket to the moon! There might just be cheese up there.

Happy Dueling!

2 comments:

Tipa said...

Okay, this is a VR game I could get behind :-)

Stingite said...

It really has been one of my most favorite VR games