Friday, August 2, 2024

A New Night in the Old 7 Days to Die

This week has been all about LONG DAYS. I've been running my youngest to Band practice and that's also meant a lot of waiting around. Yesterday, however, I got a message from my good friend Dylan (aka Moonstar aka Montgomery aka Hansel), and it was decided that last night would be the official 7 Days to Die night! My wife and I worked it out, and I was in! Time to kill zombies!

My inner critic always thinks the UI sounds could be a little crisper here. I'M BACK BABY!

Why was it official 7 days to die night? Well, the new 1.0 release had launched, and now our wonderful in-development indie darling was official after being, what, 10 years in early release? Listen, it's a glorious game that I've talked a lot about before, and if Dylan says it's 7 Days to Die night, it's 7 Days to Die night!

It wasn't just Dylan who was playing with me, it was his 3 sons as well. I felt a bit like Alice on The Brady Bunch when she was invited to go on vacations with the family. In fact, I somehow accidentally chose the female model when I went in and just ran with it. I guess that's my new persona for this game . . . I'm Alice. I guess I should start reading up more about cooking.

Anyway, it took a bit to remember how to work the controls in the game since it had easily been, I don't know, over 2 years or more since I had played last. Eventually, it worked out, and I was crafting bedrolls, clubs, and axes with the best of them.

Alice finds the Brady Men standing naked over a zombie . . . 

We all started claiming weapon styles, and so I barked out that I wanted to be the engineer gal. Give me my shock clubs and punchy turrets! It was always truly my favorite way to play the game anyway. I just need to start finding some good stuff -- give me all your engineering manuals, STAT!

By the end of our 3-hour play session last night, I think we were around level 5, I was starving with broken bones, and life was good on top of a local Pass-N-Gas store on Day 3. My gear was less than ideal, and I was still looking for a good shock club, but in the meantime, I was happily wielding a big lead pipe baton to smoosh in the undead skulls and break open the locked doors.

The top of the Pass-N-Gas is where the party gets real!

We actually found our trader right by the town we were raiding. He gave us all our intro quests, and then we started to move on to a few Tier 1 missions.  

oh yeah, you press E to start the mission . . . it's right there in the middle of the screen. Got it.

To be honest, it was all very familiar, and really I'm not exactly sure what's even changed with the game yet. If I took the time to read through the patch notes, I'm sure I'd find some gold, but so far, it's pretty much exactly what I was playing 3 years ago . . . and there's nothing wrong with that. A good game is a good game.

My only thought now is: man that was fun, when can I play again!

Happy Dueling!  

4 comments:

Jaedia said...

Huh! I've never checked this game out but nice to hear it's finally released. Wasn't this among the first of the "early access" adopters? A few out there that I've always just accepted are in early access and that's where they'll stay. xD

Stingite said...

Yeah! I think they started early access back in the Playstation 3 days. It's a fun game for sure, early access or otherwise.

Aywren said...

My Posse has been having a lot of fun with the new 7D2D. I hope to get a post bout it up soon, too!

Stingite said...

@Aywren -- It's so fun! A good posse makes all the difference too.