Tuesday, August 20, 2024

What Sounds Come Next?

While I was unemployed, my happy creative life was destroyed and I lost a lot. Slowly by slowly, I'm trying to work my way back into it, but I still haven't felt the pull to create music again.

I've tried to imagine something new that I want to make, but nothing has really stuck yet. I did think through some options the other day:

Option A: Make a redone version of my newly released An Ant Survives a Rainstorm. I have several tracks redone and it would be kind of fun to reimagine all these old songs.

I was kinda Aphex Twin before Aphex Twin

Option B: Make a "soft grooves" album. I love the healing aspect of this thought -- like I've been through a lot here this year, and I need to be kind to myself, why not do it with some beauty and fun.

Option C: Do a bit of percussive minimalism. Half way through last year I discovered a drummer named Tony Verderosa and his song The only way out is in, and I fell in love with it. It's something I kind of always wished I could do back when I was playing on a pure electronic set in my 20's.

Wish I played as well as Tony V.

Option D: I have two VR music programs that I love making music in. One is called Virtuoso and the other is called Paradiddle. The only problem I have with these programs is the output sound quality is pretty garbage compared to what you might get out of a PC . . . and that may be my problem. The sound is coming from video recorded within the Quest 2 headset. That said, I love the concept of using those two programs to make an album of music.

The wavering is my favorite VR instrument!

Option E: French techno -- it'd be kind of fun to do a deep dive into French Techno and see if I can recreate it. I've got the perfect band name for an album of French Techno. That alone makes me want to do it.

Honestly, if I had the drive, I'd do all five projects.  I have about 6 songs that I've already done for Option A and perhaps I could wrap option A and B into one. Option C and D are possible to combine thanks to Paradiddle. Option E is just out there, which is what attracts me most to it.

... and then there's option F: none of the above.

Anyway, thought I'd take this opportunity during Blaugust to just think it through and type a bit.  I don't know if I'm any closer to what I actually want to do. What do you think?

Happy Dueling

No comments: