Saturday, August 29, 2015

#Blaugust Day 29 -- Discussion Point: Why do we play the games we play?

I had a thought cross my head the other day about why I play certain games, and why I don't play others. Why I'm totally willing to watch a streamer play a type of game I typically won't play? I don't know. It's a little strange. 

In general I avoid FPS games because I'm like Jim from the Office when it comes to them.


So why do we play the games we play?

Hmm

WHO'S READY TO PLAY FRIENDLY FEUD!?


Friendly's Top 22 Answers are on the board:

- Duh, it looks like fun
- Graphics look amazing 
- I heard it's super challenging!
- Bro, all my friends / office mates are playing that game.
- Bro, EVERYBODY is playing that game right now.
- No school like the old school / Nostalgia
- I'm broke and this game is the best for the money
- I just want to be a SUPER SAIYAN / Wish fulfillment
- I'm looking for new people to chill with / Community or Social needs
- I'm searching for something deeper *cue gong*
- Read a good review about it
- Saw an advertisement
- ADRENALINE!
- Recommended by a friend
- Totally random purchase -- cover art looked good.
- It was a present
- I played the Arcade version
- It came with the Console / Device
- I love the company that makes it
- I'm fascinated with all things in the fantasy / horror / whatever genre
- Watched a YouTuber / Streamer play it
- I played the 10 prequels to the series

THANKS FOR PLAYING FRIENDLY FEUD!

~~

;)  I'm just brainstorming things up there really . . . and I guess there are reasons you START playing a game, but those aren't the same reasons that KEEP you playing a game. i.e., I may start playing a game because I saw an advertisement for it, but what kept me playing the game was that I found something deeper there.

In general, I don't think I hunt out games to play because I'm looking for a new experience, but sometimes a game looks so compelling to me that I just have to play it, like Journey.

I also don't know if anyone ever blatantly thinks "I want to fly, so I'm going to play a superhero game." So I'm sure a few of those items on that list are debatable.

So what do you think. Do you have any other ideas about what gets you playing a game and keeps you playing? Tell me why you play the games you do: what brought you to your game and what keeps you there for just a little bit longer than you anticipated?

Happy Dueling!

~~

This post is part of the Blaughust challenge -- Thanks to Belghast from Tales of the Aggronaut for hosting. 

4 comments:

Chrissy The Blesser said...

I start for several reasons. A challenge pulls me but I don't like a head desk tough one. I try on recommendations, sometimes an ad will get me to try, a friend needs help and I come in to assist. What keeps me though is the story, graphics, silliness or delightful puns or in jokes. Once I then connect with the community then it is now a part of my life and I just see how many ways I can just have fun with it or help others to have said fun.

Grace Silverdust said...

There are lots of reasons I might start a game, but sticking with a particular game for me is all about community. I have left games that were interesting because I didn't enjoy the people I met while playing (they were rude or whatever!). If I meet people on the game that are positive and helpful to new players, that definitely means a lot. I figure, if I'm going to give some of my free time to a game, it's only going to be with people I like and enjoy playing with. The other BIG reason I will stay with a game is because the game developers keep things interesting. If there are always new things (quests, gear, etc.) being added, then I will stay with it. That's what I love about KI, games like Wiz are always moving forward with new things and that keeps me engaged. Also, KI seems to go to great lengths to build a sense of community. KI Live is a huge part of that -- so keep up the good work!

--Grace Silverdust

Stingite said...

@Chrissy: Thanks for comment! It's kind of funny when you look back at a challenge and think . . . wow, I did that! It's always easier looking back at what you've done when you're at the top of the hill, right?

@Grace: Thanks so much for your positive feedback! It means a lot to hear that, and I'm glad we've got you in the community. :)

Unknown said...

First of all, I love this post! Nice job Tom. :)

I start playing a game for many reasons, my top two being advertisements, and by word of mouth. The reason I stay in the games I do is because of the community. I just LOVE being a part of a kind and caring community, and getting to know other people who share the same passion as me. Above all, I love a supportive community. A community that grows and learns together is a community that stays together. :)

~Vanessa Mythdust