Friday, August 9, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 9 -- The Music of Terraria Brings me Back Every Time

The first interview I ever did on The Friendly Necromancer was with the amazing Nelson Everhart, the composer for Wizard101. I did that because for me, the music of Wizard101 was of outstanding quality and brought an amazing soundscape that fit perfectly with the world. I also did that because I'm a songwriter myself . . .albeit not to Nelson's abilities, but a songwriter nonetheless. I love music and where some people turn off the music in video games and keep on the soundtrack of their lives, I generally keep videogame music ON and enjoy it!

Every once in a while, a videogame has such distinctive and great music that you can't help but take notice. Today I want to talk a bit about the music found in Terraria because . . . I LOVE IT. I will happily dig myself down into certain death of the world below the surface to the sweet tunes of Scott Lloyd Shelly of Resonance Array any day of the week.

First things first, if you don't know much about Terraria, take a quick look at the review I wrote up about it back in 2016.

Second things second, you can buy this music in two places:

Now . . . just take a moment and listen to the main overworld theme:


. . . and then when it turns to night



Beautiful. It's got that same 16-bit aesthetic that Terraria has and yet sounds absolutely gorgeous.

All said there are well over 40 tracks of music associated with each biome or event of Terraria, and you can find pretty much all of these tracks on the wiki for Terraria.

Scott Lloyd Shelly seems to be an interesting person. An American living in Australia and most notably was the composer for all the Crocodile Hunter episodes to most of the world, but he's also the guy behind the music in the Reader Rabbit video games my kids used to play when they were little!

Loved this interview that was on his website about how he got into the biz and how he got involved with some of the projects like Crocodile Hunter:




Honestly, if it weren't for the charming music in Terraria, I probably wouldn't love the game as much. Good on you Scott Lloyd Shelly and good on Re-logic for contracting him for the game!

Happy Dueling

No comments: