Monday, August 26, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 26 -- A Tale of Two Wii Games

So, bit of a different post today. I didn't play very many games last night as I spent it watching Netflix with the uber wife . . . finished off Season 3 of the Magicians and Started Season 2 of Mindhunter. Because of this, I'm pulling from the "thought jar" for today's post and it all has to do with a tale of two games . . . one of which is Sonic Colors!


Sonic Colors, you ask?  Yeah! So this 10 year old game is one that's been sitting in my family's collection of older Wii games for awhile now, mostly forgotten and untouched, but I'm bringing it out of retirement for one reason, and that's all because of a cute family we visited a few months ago.

My son and I visited this family a few months ago to get to know them just a bit better. It's a big family . . . five kids all under the age of 10. They don't seem to have a ton of money and like most families this size, video game entertainment comes in the cheaper variety and always a few generation of game consoles behind the cutting edge.

I remember when my Dad gave away my old Atari to a family like this back in the late 80's, and despite younger me being a little bit miffed about losing that nostalgia and my "collection" of games, it stuck with me as being a completely noble act. (Dad's are wise like that. Thank you, Dad.)

Anyway, when we visited this family a few months ago, the talk amongst the kids was Sonic Colors on the good ol' Wii. The kids were 100 percent enamored with it at the time. I immediately recognized the game and let them know that we also owned this game (My kids also raved about it). These kids were talking all about the wisps in the game and started asking me very detailed questions about which wisps we had unlocked so far. hehe. I was like . . . you know . . . I personally have never played the game, but I'll tell you what . . . I'll play Sonic Colors and tell you all about it the next time we come to visit. They thought that was great!

So I dragged Sonic Colors out a couple weeks later and managed to get through the first set of levels . . . and then put it away, but, I just couldn't stop thinking about those kids on the Wii and my dad's example to me.

A few days later I was shopping at Gamestop, and while I was there I dropped back by the old Wii games to see what they had and found a copy of Mario Super Sluggers, which is hands-down my all time favorite Wii game.


I knew immediately that this family needed to play this game, so I picked up a copy for them and texted their dad to ask if it was ok if I gave his kids a game. He thought that was great, so I dropped it by and told the kids that I was sorry I didn't have many of the Wisps in Sonic Colors unlocked yet, but I would keep at it.

Then I surprised them with a copy of Mario Super Sluggers and let them know that this game . . . was THE BOMB! It's by far my favorite game on the Wii. Their eyes lit up, and we agreed . . . the next time we meet, it's a full status report from me on my Sonic Colors progress and they'll let me know what they thought of Mario Super Sluggers.

I think next time I visit them, I'll come prepared with a bag of our old Skylander figures. They'll completely lose their minds. :)

Happy Dueling

No comments: