Monday, August 12, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 12 -- Speaking of the Blahs, Desert Bus Simulator?

Yesterday we took my 15-year-old out for some parent-guided driving lessons. There's a great spot about 20 minutes away from our home that basically works like a mini-driving course. No one's out there except for other parents and kids trying to learn how to drive, so it's a very chill way to learn.

While we were driving I asked the question . . . is there any kind of driving simulator wii game? In my mind I was thinking a bit about the jogging game in wii sports. You know the one . . . where you just sit and jog in place while holding the wii remote?

My kids had the most ridiculous answer . . . no . . . but there is this VR game called Desert Bus Simulator. I'm like . . . whaaaaat?

So I start digging up information and find the most incredible story from The New Yorker. To paraphrase it, Penn and Teller had an unreleased video game for the Sega CD that was half cruel joke called Desert Bus Simulator where you drive a bus with a slight pull to the right for eight hours, simulating the drive from Tucson to Las Vegas. If you made it all the way there, you got one point. If you crashed at any time, you got towed back to the start in real time.

The game disappeared until a few copies popped up here and there and one landed in the hands of the comedy group Loading Ready Run where they played this game for the Child's Play charity and created an amazing phenomenon known as Desert Bus for Hope and through 2017 raised $4.5 million dollars for charity.

Why have I never even HEARD of this?


And my kids were right! There is a new VR adaptation of this game on Steam. There's also a page of Roblox simulators and a bunch of Desert Bus simulator apps on the play store. Ridiculous!

It's on several lists as the most boring game ever made. A cult classic. And I've never heard of it . . .

Well maybe you were in the same boat (or bus) as me. If you were, consider yourself now educated about Desert Bus Simulator! If you ever play this game, you've got both my pity and respect.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: