Friday, August 2, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 2 -- Gems of War Necromancer Build

The Necromancer class in Gems of War seems to be a one trick pony for me, and that pony gallops to the hoof beat of farming souls. For those that don't know, spending souls on your troops is the main way you level them up, and it isn't cheap. You can pony up anywhere from ~4,300 to ~6,900 souls to level up one troop based on their rarity.


I've horsed around with the Necromancer class enough that I have the class's Mythic weapon, which is a pretty mean-looking Scythe.


I hear that weapon actually pairs better with the Sorcerer class, but what I use when playing the Necromancer is the Soul Blade, which is arguably a little easier to get as it's a free weapon from getting 28 gem mastery in both blue and yellow. You get gem mastery naturally as you level up vs. having to win 250 battles as a Necromancer to get Creeping Death.


The whole key to farming souls in Gems of War is jockeying characters that have the Necromancy trait.


Yes, in fact, there's a great old video by a really talented Gems of War player, and he simply used three Warlocks and a Valkyrie in his set up, but that video is old and Valkyrie has been nerfed since then.

(I'm sorry, I can't stop with the "lame" horse puns.)

The best team I've seen so far comes from Sinnycool Games (Side note: wouldn't the name Whinnycool games be better?), but I can't use it . . . because getting the Pharos-Ra elite troop is a "bit" out of reach for me at the moment. (You need to "rein in" 4,000 diamonds by hitting the dungeon boss game every day for about three months)



If you're looking for the ultimate soul farming set up, that video above is probably what you're looking for . . . he even goes over how you should find the pet named "moon moon" and level him up for bonus souls.

But, again, I don't have Moon Moon . . . and you, kind reader, probably don't either.

So what do I use?

I use three troops with the Necromancy trait that also have the widest color variety. For me that's Soul Blade with Necromancer wearing Celestial Armor, Warlock, Keeper of Souls, and Flesh Golem.


With this team I can consistently hit the max cap on souls and survive moderately well. Basically you want to charge soul blade 3 times, and with all the other bonuses from being a necromancer and wearing Celestial armor, it does pretty well.


I'm sure your mileage may vary and there are a lot of builds with more horse power than this, but this seems to work pretty well for me.

Now the real question is . . . is there a necromancer build that *isn't* about soul farming, and how does that work? That's a mustang to ride on a different day!

Happy Dueling!

No comments: