Wednesday, August 7, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 7 -- Slayin' them Spires!

About 3 months ago a gaggle of Designers (a drove of designers? an ambush of Designers?) that sit near me in the Mobile game section of KingsIsle all started raving about a Steam game they were playing called Slay the Spire.

I'd listen to them as they started talking "the crazy talk" about a donut guy, slime guy, suit of armor dude, etc. Back then I didn't know they were referencing the bosses in the game because I was late to the party in usual fashion.

BUT NO LONGER! I am now well versed in Slime Boss, Donu, and The Champ. But, let's face the facts, I'm still a noob when it comes to the game.

The game fools you by running the credits very early on after you beat Act 2 the first time with what appears to be your only character. After this, you open up two more characters and a couple of different play modes.


From what I understand the game isn't over until you enter a separate new game mode called "Ascension" in which you run that 20 more times to face the final level. Listen, I ain't even close to being done yet!

I can see why my co-workers liked this game so much. It's simple to play and deceptively hard. It's a deck builder, inserting a nice flair of randomness where you can royally screw yourself by picking horrible cards and artifacts, yet reduces RNG a touch by giving a good base of predictable cards, a shopkeeper to sell you essentials, and somewhat reliable pathways to the boss.

Last night I spent some time playing Act I as "The Silent" which is a female rogue type character who wears a skull on her head and works in the rogue-like ways of poisoning and shivs. I've yet to beat Act II with her let alone Act III . . . and I don't even know what Act IV is like yet.

Anyway, I recorded my run so you can see the game I'm ranting about here. It took me a good half hour to work through Act I and I ended the run with only 2 health left.  Gotta love the close ones.



For me, Slay the Spire is one of those games that just kinda sits on my desktop until I'm in the right mood for it. When I play it, I know I'm going to be there for at least an hour.

It's a fun game and I'm glad I listened to the other Designers and checked it out!

Happy Dueling!

No comments: