Wednesday, August 21, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 21 -- What's a combat?

Out of all the nights of the week, Tuesdays are by far my busiest. I'm running kids around everywhere and knee deep in commitments, but despite all that real-life garbage, I was able to jump on to Neverwinter last night to actually give combat a go. The day before was merely a sight-seeing trip around Port Nyanzaru. Who's ready for some cleric DPS? This guy's ready!

First, Last night I spec'd my character out by randomly clicking on buttons, and it looks like things have really changed. There's now 10 more levels to earn, which, I'm not sure how that will play out with the already existing gear recommendations in place.

Looking at the campaign for Chult in Neverwinter, it appears there's a gear recommendation of 13,000. My gear rating is currently just above 11,000. Hmm. Will being level 70+ be more impactful than the gear rating? I have no idea.

Anyway, so last night I skootched out into the jungles of Chult with a low gear rating and decided to test my metal against some intro mobs to see how it went. I remember it being tough, but managing a few kills here and there.

Ah friends, you know this is not going to end well . . . but that scenery though! LES DO THIS!


There was a pretty feisty pull of six or seven baby raptors just down the first path outside of Port Nyanzaru, and that wasn't too bad. I mean, sure, it took all the firepower I had and a health potion, but I was fine . . . I was fine I tell you!


Just down the road a bit from the baby raptors there was a cluster of four giant spiders, and I was just . . . ok, that didn't end so well . . .


 Then I remembered something very important about how I used to play this game. Whenever things started getting dicey, I'd smack that "W" or "S" twice to slide and dodge away quickly. It was kind of what I did while waiting for my cooldowns to pop and while dealing with a huge mob of mobs. After that realization, those spiders were still tough, but I could at least get past them and win the fight. I was just fine . . . JUST FINE I TELL YA!

Then I took on some Yuan-ti sneeple types and a few other mobs that I could find here and there . . . and then there was this T-rex fiasco . . .


You know what . . . let's talk about that T-rex ever again, ok?

Then I remembered something else. During combat I used to do some pretty amazing stuff after pressing the Tab key. There's this whole targeting system set up in the middle of your screen . . . and then it was time for me to get the kids to bed. I'll have to remember how to work that system out next play session.

So there you go. I learned a bit more, killed a few things, and died mightily to a nasty T-rex. I guess you can call that a successful night. I really do feel like I don't belong in this campaign. My gear rating is way low, and I haven't even thought about rejoining a guild or asking for help in general chat yet because you know, asking strangers for help when you don't know what the heck you're doing is always fun.

Maybe once I figure out my set up and how to fight again, I'll brave those chat channels. Until then, perhaps I need to take a step back, earn a couple levels, find some new gear, and research good specs for DPS clerics first.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: