Friday, August 23, 2019

#Blaugust2019 Day 23 -- Korn and the Quest for Video Game Concerts

They're weird! They're wild! They're perfect PR vehicles of video game novelty: It's the in-game concert . . .


Yesterday I was perusing Twitter and this in-game concert popped up on my feed . . . I love it. It's just so wonderfully wacky that Korn would be doing a concert inside Adventure Quest 3D. As soon as I got home I downloaded the game and jumped in.

It was pretty metal just from the get-go. I was killing skeletons and skeleton giants then had a conversation with Death.


Eventually I made my way into town where the concert promoter was there to hail me into the concert.


There was even a shop where I could buy Korn themed skins and pets and stuff.


The concert itself was a riotous 3 song set full of demons, death, and dancing! I was there! I helped defeat Thrash and earned an in-game title and mace weapon that looks like a microphone!


And the whole time I had my 10-year-old chillin' in my lap as we shared an earphone each.


If you'd like to see the whole concert yourself . . . I honestly can't tell you how easy of a download and onboarding experience that was. Props to the developer for pulling off a super smooth experience logging into their game. It was beautiful. You should download this game just to experience the ease of getting into the concert.

BUT, if you're still adverse or reading this several years later, YouTube always has the footage for you.


This is now the "third" Internet Tour type of concert I've seen in MMORPGs.

First, there was the Dares in Free Realms. (slowly lowers pixie wings in solemn respect for what was the beauty of Free Realms). I WAS THERE! I WISH I HAD THE CONCERT T-SHIRT!



Next, there was Marshmello in Fortnite. I wasn't there "in game" for this one, but I did watch it several times of my own accord. :)



And now, Korn in AQ3D.

Of course there are other "concerts" that have happened in other games and MMOs. I did a quick search to see what I could find out there, and let me tell you that finding actual "video game concerts" instead of "live concerts that have video game music featured as their music" is challenging!

Here's what I found:
Also:
. . . there's gotta be a ton more . . .

Anyway, it was pretty amazing to log in and experience yet another concert in game. Really cool to watch. I'll also probably keep AQ3D installed for a bit . . . it's reminding me of Free Realms! Those were the days.

Happy Dueling

2 comments:

Bhagpuss said...

Keep an eye on Free Realms Sunrise - https://www.freerealmssunrise.com/faq/

I agree, concerts in MMOs is a great idea. Should be far more of them.

Stingite said...

@Bhagpuss -- Thanks for the tip! Duly noted.