Wednesday, June 10, 2009

FW: New Chat Enhancements Announced

Another one just came across the wire . . . now this one seems to have the potential to stir some controversy I think.

*HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS*

~~~~~~~~~~

New Chat Enhancements Announced

We are releasing new community enhancements very soon!

One of the enhancements is 18+ Chat*. 18+ Chat will allow players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players. Starting tonight, we are adding web-based account controls for 18+ chat. Please be aware that although the control will be added to your account, 18+ Chat will NOT be launched tonight.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to launch this for our active Subscriber community only. Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Once we launch this feature, the following updates to chat will apply:

Menu Chat (default setting for under13)
• players will continue to see only Menu Chat.

13 to 18+ Text Chat (default setting for 13+)
• players will continue to see only our Dictionary Text Chat.
• players will NOT see the 18+ chat.

New 18+ Chat
• will be filtered for profanity.

*Accounts must be 18+ and must be an active subscriber with a valid credit card on file.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Chatting to the 18+

*gulp*

9 comments:

Quantize said...

This is GREAT. I can't wait to be able to type every word sans "...". I think they're implementing it correctly too. Everyone under 18 will continue to see what they've always seen. No harm done.

Matthew Willowblossom said...

Hey Friendly,

I don't know about you, but I really don't like this. I think younger players (13 - 18) should be able to see the 18+ chat as long as it's in the dictionary. This is because if I'm in a duel I won't be able to communicate with some players... I hope that KI thinks about this and allows 18+ Players to still use 13 - 18 chat like older players can still use the quick chat.

Stingite said...

I guess my problem is that I have a lot of people I know on this game that are under 18. I wonder if I will know if what I typed to them made any sense if I enable the 18+ chat?

For instance, when I type, "Man, I need to go to bed now." Will I know that all they are seeing is "Man, I need to go to . . . now." Will the word "bed" show up in red still even if I have 18+ enabled so I will know to type, "Man, I need to go to sleep now." instead?

And how will I know if someone has 18+ chat enabled? Now I see a chat bubble with a cross through it, and I know they are young. Will I now see a chat bubble with a ">18" next to it?

I guess I just need to see how it's going to be implemented.

Matthew Willowblossom said...

Yeah I guess we'll have to wait and see...

L. R. Jonté said...

I can't imagine how they engineered this upgrade, but it'll be interesting to see.

Quantize said...

Matt Willowblossom, I think you misunderstood. 13-18 chat will be able to see the parts of 18+ chat that are in the dictionary. Maybe the 18+chat players will see color coded words based on what 13-18 people can see of what they type, that's what i would do.

Matthew Willowblossom said...

Thanks Quantize for clearing that up for me. I'm glad that would be what's happening

Anonymous said...

My point is that parents should be able to enable 18+ chat for their children who are under 18. Parental permission, basically, for parents who are a bit more lenient on language.

SorionHex said...

Yes I agree entirely, quite a lot of children out there are 13-17 and basically shouldn't have a problem with the language 18 year olds use. What I mean by that is that they filter profanity, therefore most harm is removed.