Thursday, August 23, 2018

High (Ho) Silver, Away!


Overwatch's 11th Season of Competitive Matches has five more days until it's over. I don't know what that means for you, but what that means for me is that I need to finally get these placement matches out of the way, so I can get a spray that I never use and earn a few more points toward this golden weapon thing that I will never obtain!

You see, the Austin Potatoes just don't do a lot of comp matches. We generally like the more laid back atmosphere of quick play and tend not to extend ourselves outside of that. That's what potatoes do. That said, we'll always give placement matches a go at, like, you know, the last minute.

To be honest, Vanessa MythDust and I were rocking those matches over the past couple of days. 

Curse you random disconnect!

(That one loss pictured above was actually a disconnect that counted against me.) And sure . . . we ended up losing those last two placement matches, but I'd say it was pretty great overall for us. 

Back in January, I did my first ever placement matches and ended up mid-gold with an SR of 2372 -- this was back in my days of playing Pharah all the time. After that I had switched to a Reinhardt main and did another round of placement matches that didn't end so well and my SR plummeted to low silver. Since that time we've been working our way back up -- just through placement matches mind you, because that's how potatoes do -- and this time I ended up with high silver.

 So close to gold!

After placements, I stuck it out for another tragic loss and both Vanessa and I were both done with placements for Season 11. Here's how we're looking for that, team.

Don't worry my friends, I am your shield. 

Pretty 50/50 between Rein and Doom with some Pharah and Junkrat sprinkled in for good measure.  I had an excellent round as Pharah, scored 33 elims, and was able to play my rocket air guitar emote a few times, which is the most important unrepresented stat in that picture above.

The end result was that Vanessa and I felt better about Comp Matches! They typically are a cess pool of taunts, disparaging comments, and utter discouragement, but we didn't get that this time through.  I'm sure if we played Comp enough, we'd find that behavior again, but one week before the season is over, it sure felt full of more people just like us -- generally chill peeps who just want to have a good match . . . and win! (And not just throwing a match on purpose to get into bronze; I realize that happens.) I may end up doing more comp matches in the future if it stays this chill.  I'd much rather be earning points toward a golden fist or hammer than not.

And while you're here reading about Overwatch, you might as well also see the latest Animated Short if you aren't one of the 3.6 million people that haven't caught it yet.


What do you think, is this a set up to learn more about the guy with the hover bike? I sense future hero!

And also check out this Reinhardt Karoke from the Overwatch play test server. I will absolutely be doing this when it comes to the live game.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: