Thursday, June 23, 2016

Neverwinter Foundry System . . . removed?

(continuing along with the #OneWeekDailyBlogging challenge from Emy . . .)

My wife the other day asked me to help her load up Neverwinter on the computer, which is strange.


Because here's the deal. Back in 2014 I was on a crusade to get my family playing Neverwinter. I even managed to coordinate a moment where my daughter, Uber Wife, and I were playing in the same group.  This, like, never happens anymore.  After that one experience, my family dumped the game. *cries*

Oh well, I'm sure one of Uber Wife's Internet buddies convinced her to download it, and as it turns out the game was crashing on her during mid-load with a nasty "graphicalclient.exe error."  Basically I had to run the launcher in Safe-Mode and then everything seemed to work.

I even logged in for a second and checked out my super sexy cleric, Dr. PhilGood. Don't remember him?

 


Now you do!

Of course the first thing I wanted to do when I was back online was revisit my dungeon that I spent all that time crafting in the Foundry system, because . . . 1- I missed it and 2- let's be honest, Neverwinter has the best UGC (User Generated Content) system out there, right?! Honestly it was my favorite thing about the game.

. . . "was" my favorite thing about the game. The foundry system and all the quests that went with it were nowhere to be found. *GASP*

And apparently I was late to the party to know about this as I took to an Internet search:
  • The Foundry wiki states it "disappeared from the game" several months ago.
  • The Neverwinter uncensored blog had a quote from a Dev that said they were looking at several frustrating bugs with the foundry system, but also gave a very telling couple of sentences: ". . . the more power you give authors in creating user generated content, the more likely some are going to abuse that power. But the less power you give authors, the less the foundry can serve its purpose of being a true sandbox environment."
  • And finally, Reddit, takes us to the land of truth . . . people were abusing the system to create maps specifically for farming exp and astral diamonds.
I guess it's human nature . . . someone builds a game and someone else tries to break it.  It's just too bad we can't have nice things, and that's a shame.

One things for sure, I'm glad I did screenshots of my Labyrinth tribute dungeon and captured it in this post so I could remember it though! Screenshots or it didn't happen! (now if only I would have made a YouTube video of it . . . ahh well.)

Happy Dueling!

No comments: