Monday, July 20, 2020

I'm 50! 50 fox years old!

You better believe I was high steppin' it like Sally O'Mally when I dinged 50 Spirit Fox today.


My time grinding to 50 was mostly spent in . . .you guessed it . . . the Fae Realm, but listen, in all that time I learned a thing or seven!

me, my fire rat, and I

Thing 1 -- As a Spirit Fox you can cast a mini-pet that's more like an illusion with a taunt. It'll take a hit or two for you and then die.  Then you just re-summon up another illusion.

To get this super cool illusion pet, you have to make ANOTHER run down into the depths of the Wolf Caves where the Spirit Fox that turned you into a spirit fox will teach you his illusion trick . . . but only in exchange for Lapis Lazuli gems.

I made the mistake of running back there to him to be trained only to find out that I didn't have any gems on me.  Then my guild leader was kind enough to take pity on me and run me down a few gems. Please don't be like me and also make that mistake.

What did the Trick Fox say?

Thing 2 -- You'll be talking to a fox in Kur named Mittens to learn all your cool "alternate" spells that aren't naturally granted to you (aside from the Trick Foxes spell mentioned above).  Mittens will also be advancing you from levels 50- 60.

Tada!  Time to go grind more levels . . . yay.

Thing 3 -- Mittens taught me some cool stuff! Spirit Foxes can get a really cool buff ability called Paradox Trot. This spell allows you to completely ignore the effects of cold or hot weather. That's right, no more frostbite or dehydration . . . as long as you're not seen.  That's the catch. The moment you grab any kind of aggro, the spell drops and you're back to freezing or being thirsty.

It has its uses for those long runs between Kur and Gaz, but half of the places I want to go in those zones are typically right through a group of vicious enemies. But if you're sneaky, it's a really super cool buff.

Thing 4 -- In group play it appears the Fox is the "mana battery" of the group. You get a group energy heal spell and you can drop down an energy restoring rune every 20 seconds.

The runes also make for a dramatic effect to let other people know this camp is claimed.

Thing 5 -- Foxes are fast!  I'm finding myself outpacing my group mates. I wish I knew exactly how much innate sprint speed I have as a fox.

Thing 6 -- I went to the Animal Town for the first time ever, and there was nothing there for me to do except a few quests.

Animal Town you say?  Yeah! Out in Sun Vale there's a town full of nothing but animals (and one human named Spot).  They have terrifying giant scorpions patrolling the area, so it's really only for animal classes.

I went here thinking maybe there would be a new fox NPC in the town, but . . . nope . . . nothing. As it turns out, I will be training my level 60+ spells from a Fae-Green Panther named Raina in the Fae Realm.

Thing 7 -- You can cast a human illusion! If you're lucky enough to track down the Spirit Fox illusion book to train it, you too can look like a static-y human and trick the local dummies into selling and trading items to you.  It appears the upgrade path to this line reduces the cool down and perhaps the length that the illusion lasts for.

Human you say? Looks legit to me!

And that's it!

I'm not having any issues grinding levels with Spirit Fox and Animal Handling, so I'll probably continue taking this skill up at least until 60 or 70 . . . at that point I'm going to need to make some big decisions on what I actually want to do with this class.

Do I pay the enormous arm-and-a-leg cost to get the skill to 80?  Do I try to pair it with necromancy or fire magic?  I'm honestly not sure, but for the time being, it's still fun running around as a fox.

Happy Dueling!

No comments: