Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Recent Convert: Why I purchased Project Gorgon

These past few days I have been completely engrossed in Project: Gorgon. You know that scary feeling when you sense you really like a game and then slowly by slowly it starts eating away at all your time. yeah. I've got it bad recently.

I think it's partly because the demo does a good job of making you feel great leveling up those initial skills. So far I "maxed out" . . . or rather "demo maxxed out" the following skills to 15:
  • Unarmed 
    • Like martial arts . . . just swinging with your fists
  • Sword 
    • Like stabby stabby
  • Skinning 
    • After you kill things, you take their pelts
  • Shield 
    • Like bashy bashy
  • Pathology 
    • heh. After you kill something, you use an autopsy kit to analyze how it died
  • Mycology 
    • Gathering mushrooms
  • Foraging 
    • Picking up stuff from the ground
  • First Aid 
    • Using healing kits
  • Fire Magic 
    • Casting fireballs like a madman
  • Endurance 
    • Like taking a beating
  • Archery 
    • Like shooty shooty
  • Animal Handling 
    • taming a rat, naming it suzie, and somehow leveling to a 16 in this skill because of a hidden "bonus"?
  • Arthropod Anatomy 
    • . . . basically I killed a lot of spiders and looked at their guts



With all that said . . . I'm now ready to convert to paying player, which I think should be an entirely different experience . . . at least I hope.

At the end of the day, MMOs should be about the group and the guild. I mean, yes, soloing MMOs is something we all do, but I believe what we all hope ends up happening is that we find a solid group of people that want to play with us so that we win together.

It should be about taking on tough dungeons and hard bosses with a bunch of new and interesting people, and that's what I expect to happen.

The reality here is that server population seems to be small and it seems to be a very solo friendly MMO.

I also suspect there is a leveling curve where the speedy experience you were gaining from 1-15 goes away, and now the game slows way down.

I'll let you know.

Some of the main selling points have been:

1- Oodles of skills and combinations of skills to play with. I love finding layers of complexity and this game seems to have that in spades. Want to play as a staff and shield character? You got it! And while you're holding your staff and shield, gear that is staff and shield centric will drop for you from enemies. Genius!

2- Quirky charm. I covered this in the last post I made about Project Gorgon, but this game has oodles of quirky charm.

3- Good Danger Balance. It's very easy to get overwhelmed by enemies in the dungeons, but at the end of the demo . . . can I just say how happy I was to find firewall as an ability? It solves a lot of soloing problems. Also, I wasn't severely punished for dying. They hit a good balance. Imagine Everquest without any xp loss.

4- Nice people. There were guides and people actually chatting with me in the Demo channel. They were respectful, and I totally appreciated their help. I'm sure I'll run into jerks . . . as is the nature of all online games, but so far it's been pretty jerk free.

5- The price is right. That's 40 bucks well spent with no monthly fee. Thumbs up!

6- Demo Level cap at the right spot. I was given a solid sip of Project Gorgon in the Demo. I wasn't given access to all the classes and skills, and I want to play with those as well. In essence . . . decision time has come.

7- Nostalgia trip. Yeah. The graphics remind me a lot of Everquest. You know I have a lot of love for the Everquest. It's like I'm playing a new game with an old familiar skin.

See you in Eltibule! (Um . . . That's the paid area where I have 2 quests waiting to turn in)

Happy Dueling!

No comments: