Monday, July 11, 2016

Finally Tried (and fell in love with) Terraria!

I'm very late to the party.  Terraria has been around since 2011, and I'm just barely getting to it, but let's just say it kind of consumed the past couple weeks of my life, and I had a blast playing it, which is surprising since upon first play a year ago when I won the game from participating in Blaugust, I wasn't initially all that impressed.

My little town

Terraria had been sitting on my desktop this whole time, and I thought . . . you know what? I'm giving it a fair handshake because I made the mistake as discounting it as a 2D Minecraft, which apparently is a common misconception, and I didn't see the attraction.

There are plenty of reviews online that talk about how Terraria isn't just a 2D Minecraft, so I probably don't need to go into the details too much, but I think it's best summed up by a review from Fuzzbot I saw in Steam on the game:

"Itsa sandbox game.
Itsa sandbox 2d game.
Itsa sandbox exploration 2d game.
Itsa sandbox exploration 2d RPG game.
Itsa sandbox exploration 2d RPG Shooter game.
Itsa sandbox exploration 2d RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot game.
Itsa sandbox exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot game.
Itsa sandbox survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot game.
Itsa sandbox rogue-like survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot game.
Itsa sandbox rogue-like survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Clickfest game.
Itsa class-building sandbox rogue-like survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Clickfest game.
Itsa economic class-building sandbox rogue-like survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Clickfest game.
Itsa economic class-building sandbox rogue-like survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Griefing Clickfest game.
Itsa economic class-building sandbox rogue-like survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Griefing Multiplayer Clickfest game.
Itsa economic class-building sandbox rogue-like sword-fighting survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Griefing Multiplayer Clickfest game.
Itsa economic class-building sandbox rogue-like sword-fighting spell-casting survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Griefing Multiplayer Clickfest crafting game.
Itsa economic class-building sandbox rogue-like sword-fighting spell-casting survival exploration 2d hardmode RPG Shoot-And-Hoard-Loot Griefing Multiplayer Clickfest crafting game that ISN'T a Minecraft clone.

Just buy it. What ELSE do you want? A SEQUEL!?
Well, its apparently getting that, too.

10/10, would waste time googling adjectives and taking adjectives from the comment section again."

That's possibly the greatest review ever written because the game plays like that.  You start to play the game and once you get beyond the "sandbox" "2D" "RPG" "Shooter" aspect of the game, you're good to go and the layers keep peeling back.

If I was to mashup games to tell you what it feels like to me, it'd be this


All games that I've thoroughly enjoyed in my life.


Now . . . all that said, I'm kind of to the point in the game where I've crafted some pretty awesome armor, have fairy wings to fly, have an amazing yo-yo of death, a stockpile of potions, a town full of helpful NPCs, and to progress further into the game I have to kill three bosses that randomly appear, but only at nighttime . . . and I'm stuck.

The hardmode bosses kick my butt, and I'm imagining I have to either sync up and actually play the game with friends to progress or really learn how to avoid taking damage from the bosses (either by bashing my head against it several more times or watching a few spoilery YouTube videos).

If you've got $10 to spare or happen to find Terraria for sale on the Steam store, I'd recommend giving it a go, but when you do . . . just know you may need to give it some time until the layers of the game start to peel back and reveal itself.

Let me know when you've beat the Wall of Flesh! Two words . . . water bolt. ;)

Happy Dueling!

No comments: