My word I'm having so much fun delving into the newest incarnation of EverQuest. Yesterday I advanced myself to level 16 and explored a bunch of old zones that I really just kind of ignored before . . . because I could. When I started, I was a high elf locked in the whole Greater Faydark area and grew up being lost in that whole area over there.
Now I'm playing as an Iksar in the Deserts of Ro in some strange zone called New Sebilis. WHAT? That zone isn't listed in my EverQuest Atlas: The Maps of Myrist!
Several years ago when I was working at KingsIsle, my old partner in crime Leah Ruben (Lead Producer of Wizard101) and I got talking about EverQuest. She let me in on a little secret that it was actually Evequest that led her to get involved in the Games Industry, and we talked for a long time about our love of the game. If you go haunt Leah's page on MobyGames, you'll find out that, yes, in fact, she was intimately involved in EverQuest Online Adventures back in 2003, as well as being a Game Master for several expansions.
After our long conversation about EverQuest, Leah (and her hubby Joel) gifted me an old copy of the EverQuest Atlas. A kind of common-bond item and a very welcome gift by me. It's been sitting in a box in my garage for a couple of years now after I moved to Utah. In fact, I had forgotten about this book until this morning when I remembered . . . OH YEAH . . . I HAVE COOL MAPS!
Last night I spent a lot of time in a solo instance of Najena farming up the entrance and an ogre named The Tenderizer who drops a weapon named . . . The Tenderizer . . . and also a haste belt named The Kitchen Toolbelt.
I really don't know if this boss existed in the old game of EverQuest. I think it might be an EverQuest Legends exclusive? I of course wouldn't know because I was too busy messing around in the Feydark or over in the future expansion of Kunark. Looking back at the old Najena map over on EQ Atlas, there's certainly no note of such a notable farming spot. Huh. Must be new like the weird tutorial zone with all the Dougs (if you play the tutorial zone, you'll see Old Doug, Doug, Dougina, Dead Doug . . . as I'm gathering, it's a tribute to Doug Cronkhite?)
I suppose finding something in all the old is what really makes EverQuest Legends the ultimate game for old fans.
Happy Dueling!





They’ve redone Blackburrow, Befallen, Najena, Crushbone and (I think) Splitpaw with new NPCs that drop all new cool stuff — like haste belts!
ReplyDelete