Monday, August 3, 2026

its Everquest -- for Legends!

So, I wasn't fully tuned in to this Everquest Legends release that happened just a few days ago. I mean, I saw the e-mail from Daybreak and skimmed a few blogposts (enough to know Tipa was playing). I even logged on to Twitch and watched several streamers play for about 20 minutes. I hate to admit this, but watching the Twitch streams bored me enough that I thought I wouldn't play the game (it just wasn't that exciting to watch despite the personalities). I'm blaming Tipa. Talking to her over Discord about the game really pushed me over the edge . . . mmmm . . . and also realizing I could play an Iksar Beastlord sealed the deal.

Funny enough, I made a Stingite Sleestak T-shirt about a month ago. I took my favorite screenshot of my Beastlord standing in the Plane of Time, had AI add in my warder pet and make the wording, then used Ninja DTF transfers to make a quality heat transfer. 

STINGITE SHIRT!

Twenty bucks plus a free month of sub time seemed the perfect price point, so, while wearing my Stingite Sleestak shirt, I began my journey back in Norrath ... in an all-new way! At first I was confused. I thought you played as three separate characters ... kind of like multiboxing or playing with henchmen in actual Everquest. Wrong! No this is much crazier and actually part of what makes this experience so unique. You MULTICLASS! WHAT?! Gosh dang it's so cool.

LOL, that face . . . I need updated graphics STAT

So when I was playing EQ, I started my experience as a high elf cleric because it's what my friends needed. Eventually the Beastlord class released and Stingite became my new number one character. Listen, you have no idea how many times I wished that as a Beastlord I could separate tightly packed in enemies with a Calm spell. Now it's possible. CRAZY!

Single pulling Dervish Cutthroats like a boss!

If that last paragraph made sense to you, you probably played Everquest. You see, in Everquest, the aggro radius of nearby enemies was always scary for me. It was meant to be that way because Everquest was a game made for group play (even though as a Beastlord I could pull off solo play). Each person had a role. Clerics can help lower the aggro radius of those tightly packed enemies making pulls of enemies much less dangerous, something I knew I could do with my cleric, but not with my Beastlord.

As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes I would even log on my cleric, debuff enemies with calm, log back on as a beastlord, and then take my chances that the debuff hadn't worn off. 

So, long story short, in Evequest Legends you can mix and match the abilities of any three classes (well, only two until you reach level 10 -- then it's three). That's crazy cool! I'm so on board for that kind of synergy! Now that I'm playing as a Beastlord Cleric Shadowknight, I can have a cool pet, heal with efficiency, Harm Touch, nuke, and pull. Ridiculous! 

My old lack of experience here is that I really don't know that much about playing as a Shadowknight. You know, now that I think about it, I kind of doubt that a regular Joe schmo would understand even how to play this game. It feels like this game was built for the old Legends who used to play Everquest 26 years ago, like me. Not saying a regular Joe schmo can't play this game, just that the learning curve is going to be kind of steep and probably less enjoyable. I feel it, and I spent YEARS playing this game. Anyway, for now, I'm loving the retro fun and being a new legend in the old world of Everquest.

Happy dueling!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Not sure people who haven't played EQ before would really find the attraction... but there is someone new to the game on Mastodon. I really wonder how they're feeling about it.

    ReplyDelete