Saturday, January 6, 2024

Quest to Cantrip Completion in Wizard101

I decided to log back into Wizard101 and see if I could recreate some of the magic that's there for me, and quickly discovered that, yes, indeed, there is magic! Specifically cantrips!

I love "fun" magic! Teach me your ways Abner!

Yes, Wizard101 friends, that's how behind the times I am with Wizard101. I'm over here giving the breaking news on stuff that happened in Spring of 2022. I mean, if I really want to come clean here I'm still playing in Fall 2020 content, which means that Abner has all kinds of things he wants to talk to me about!

Abner looks to be Wizard101's Town Crier like Mickey Dugan was for Pirate101. Got it.

I haven't even played a round of Beastmoon . . . I'm a little intimidated by it to be honest. Anyway, Abner pointed me over to good ol' Pigswick Academy to learn more about Cantrips and before you could say Alla-ka-piggle, I was doing magic flips in the air in front of Hampshire Buttersfield with my "fun" magic.

Flipping out over Cantrips

. . . and then I just sat there doing backflips, making rainclouds, floating my spell book, and casting invisibility over and over while I listened to the Ruff Talk VR Podcast. From the looks of it, the "purchasable" Cantrips kind of max out at level six where you can get a second mark and recall, which is pretty great!

These dudes are really making me do a lot of backflips for a Second Mark . . .

After that it was a 1-2-3 punch KO on cantrip research:

  1. First up was a fantastic read-- the cantrip leveling guide over on Final Bastion. It looks like Jennifer Soulstone mathed it all out and has multiple paths for leveling all written out. Man, I love invested people like this. Good on you, Jennifer!
  2. The next stop in my cantrip googling adventure was to go look at the cantrip lists over at Wizard101 Central
  3. And then finally, the last piece of the puzzle seems to be Crafted Cantrip Treasure Cards, which Wizard101 Central also had the deets on.
Ok, GOT IT. I'm all caught up on cantrip information, now to just put it to good use by downloading Moonlight for my phone and Sunshine for my PC and viola, I'm burning energy by casting Roll Dice over and over on my phone that's streaming from my PC while I'm watching TV with the wife.

Wizard on the phone.  Man, I need a steam deck . . . it'd be so much easier than this.

Welcome to Cantrip Energy Grind 2024 y'all!

Happy Dueling!

4 comments:

Tipa said...

I think if I tried to return to W101, I'd have to start from scratch. There is SO MUCH new stuff to learn; I get overwhelmed whenever I do try to go back.

Stingite said...

It's pretty amazing how much has changed, yet how much has not at the same time. It's still that same game at its core. There are some things I still need to get used to though, like school-specific pips and the new character looks. I kind of miss my old ugly avatar for some reason.

Yeebo said...

I recently dove back in to the game. I started over on a Death Mage to relearn the game, and I'm glad I did. I couldn't believe how much stuff has been added since the last time I played.

Some of my old characters are so badly out of date that I may need to reroll them. For example, I am missing a ton of XP on my pets (pets actually do stuff now! and the easiest way to level them is to have them equipped when you turn in a quest . . .), and some of my training points have been blown on stuff that's not considered almost totally useless in the modern meta.

Stingite said...

@Yeebo -- oh wow! Yeah, you must have not logged in for a really long time! It's pretty amazing how deep the game is now compared to where it all started back in 2008. There's a lot to catch up with for you. Enjoy!