Saturday, August 1, 2020

Promptapalooza: Popular Media You Never Understood

Today's prompt for Promptapalooza comes from Dragonray at Azerothian Life.
What is some popular piece of content/media that seems to be universally loved that you have never been able to understand?
Dragonray goes with Game of Thrones. All I have to say to that is Amen.

I honestly only watched the first episode and immediately nope'd out after the first midget sex scene.  I'm actually happy to hear from him that it only got worse from there.

I'm also happy that the popularity of the show spawned a few other series trying to capture that Game of Thrones fantasy vibe. I enjoyed watching The Shannara Chronicles even though I hear it lacked the budget of the almighty GoT. (Season two wasn't as good as season one though . . . let's be honest)

Looks uncomfortable to sit on anyway

~~

Now, I'm hoping that someone comes along and tells me that the Witcher, Witcher 2, and Witcher 3 are all bad games (and TV series) because I've missed the boat here. It's one of those games that everyone says is a must play, but I've just never gotten around to playing it.

It just looks so cool . . .

When the TV Series cropped up, my wife and her friend watched it, and I missed out, but they said it was really good despite neither of them playing the games.

Doing a quick search on it now though on the IMDb parents guide . . . yup . . . apparently there's lots of sex, and I think that really gets to the heart of the matter for me.

The series is rated M and I have three kids at home. I'll be honest, I've missed out on a ton of video games during the past 18 years because of this. I decided out of the gate that I wouldn't try to hide it and only play the M-rated games late at night when the kids were in bed.

If I hadn't decided this, I'd probably own every Mortal Kombat game there is. I guess that's my broken rule . . . I do own a copy of Mortal Kombat for the PS3. It's hidden in a back corner of the entertainment center. Shhhh.


So, there you go. While the video game world was playing The Witcher, I was playing Wizard101 and Pirate101. Personally, I think it's a fair trade.

Happy Dueling!

1 comment:

Jeromai said...

I didn’t make it past much of Witcher 1 either, mostly because I broke down at the first significant choice when I learned with some reading ahead that the end result is that the world would tend to end up smacking you in the face with the horrible consequences of whatever choice you made, aka no choice is a good or optimal choice, and the only way to win is not to play.

But I must say the Netflix series seems to be not bad, given the first couple episodes I had the time to watch. It captures the mood and spirit of that unfair world rather faithfully, and it’s a lot easier to watch a tv character get dumped on rather than experience it for yourself.