Sunday, February 24, 2019

My Boundless Free Weekend Experience

As of the moment I'm typing this blog post, there's only a few more hours left in the Boundless free weekend. According to this page, it sounds like after the free weekend, you can pick up the game for 30% off in the Steam Store. So, now that I've played this weekend, is it worth it?

For me? Probably not. For my in-game neighbor who built an elaborate set of buildings for all to admire? Probably yes!

Just look at the beautiful city block she created.


She named her claim on the MMO landscape as "New Oort," and it was amazing. Me?  I named my claim on the MMO landscape as "Stingite's Lair," and it was a dump.


Obviously my in-game neighbor took a lot of pride and TIME to build her masterpiece. For me it was all about making a shelter from the horrendous purple beasts that liked to spit ice balls at me and kill me. 

Inside wasn't much prettier, but I did have all the necessary items: a beacon (a device that lets you claim land in Boundless), torches, roof, floor, 4 walls, a stone door, three crafting tables, and several deconstructed work bench pieces . . .


It took me a couple play sessions to realize that I needed to put those work bench pieces in a square formation to make them come alive into a grand master workbench. (Knowledge is power! Thank you Boundless wiki.)

But what do you expect from an ugly green lizard man named Stingite?


COVER YOUR EYES, CHILDREN! HE'S ONLY WEARING A LOIN CLOTH!

I will say that the night time views from the Stingite-Lair-rooftop across a block-shaped desert with a giant Bartleby-esque tree were pretty great.


Unfortunately I never really ran into other players when I was playing.  I think one time a person opened my house door while I was busy crafting something, but instead what I felt in this world was the "presence" of other players who had come before me, which isn't an unfamiliar feeling if you've ever played with a group on the same Minecraft server.  Working on a grand citiscape together and surviving the enemies of boundless together with friends simultaneously would be more fun than the solo experience I had.

So definitely no fault in the game (other than some server lag), but rather more a fault in me. I imagine playing this game on Twitch with a big group of people could be an absolute blast! Just imagine 10-20 lairs just like Stingite's all strung together in a dumpy communal area where we slaughter purple ice spitting beasts all the time!

Maybe next free weekend, if there is one, eh? That could be fun!

Happy Dueling!

No comments: